The Withlacoochee Regional Water Authority (WRWA) Board voted and approved Citrus County Commissioner Jeff Kinnard to serve as 2018 board treasurer at their Wednesday, January 17 meeting. The Withlacoochee Regional Water Supply Authority (WRWSA or “Authority”) is a multi-county special district of the State of Florida charged with planning for and developing cost-efficient, high-quality water supplies for its member governments.
The Authority promotes environmental stewardship through its water conservation programs and will develop alternative water sources when necessary to augment traditional water supplies to meet the region’s long-term needs.
The WRWSA is created by Interlocal Agreement among its member counties. Originally created in 1977, the Interlocal Agreement was revised in January 2014. Member governments include: Citrus County, Crystal River, Inverness, Hernando County, Brooksville, Marion County, Belleview, Dunnellon, McIntosh, Reddick, Ocala, Bushnell, Coleman, Center Hill, Webster and Wildwood.
Since its inception, the Authority has moved forward with water supply planning studies; construction of its first regional water supply facility in Citrus County and; developed a cooperative funding program to provide grants to assist member local governments in developing adequate water supply facilities and water supply conservation projects.
Current activities include:
- Joint funding of water supply projects with member local governments;
- Tracking and providing input to water resource legislation that is of interest to the Withlacoochee Region;
- Implementation of the “Action Plan” resulting from the 2010 Master Water Supply Plan;
- To expand and refine the “Regional Framework” concept that will provide the future infrastructure for introduction of alternative water supplies into the Region’s water supply systems;
- Continued cooperation with Citrus County in operation of the Authority’s Charles A. Black Wellfield and Water Supply Facility (CABWSF).
- Cooperative funding with SWFWMD for a regional irrigation audit program to implement outdoor water conservation;
- Updating of the Regional Water Supply Plan.
For more information on WRWSA visit: http://www.wrwsa.org/index.html