MARION COUNTY – Marion County Public Schools will close Friday and Monday, September 8 and 11, to prepare for and deal with Hurricane Irma.
Six schools will open as shelters for evacuees on Friday at 5PM. Shelters must have preparation time to move necessary equipment into place, provide for special needs evacuees, inventory food supplies, and secure authorized personnel to manage the shelters. Shelter schools include:
· Belleview Middle (special needs shelter) – 10500 SE 36 Ave., Belleview, 34420
· West Port High (special needs shelter) – 3733 SW 80 Ave., Ocala, 34481
· Vanguard High (pet-friendly shelter) – 7 NW 28 St., Ocala, 34475
· Fort McCoy School (general population shelter) – 16160 NE CR 315, Fort McCoy, 32134
· Lake Weir High (general population shelter) – 10351 SE Maricamp Rd., Ocala, 34472
· North Marion Middle (general population shelter) – 2085 W County Rd. 329, Citra, 32113
· For more information on shelters, contact the Citizens Information Line at 352.369.7500.
Year-round district employees should report to work as usual unless safety concerns keep them at home. In those cases, employees can request time off from their immediate supervisor.
Parents, students, and others connected with MCPS should continue monitoring www.marionschools.net, listen to Skylert messaging, and follow @MarionCountyK12 on Twitter for the latest school announcements.
At this time, the district anticipates reopening schools Tuesday, September 12, on normal operating schedules.
For more information, contact the school board office directly.